After the rain …

After the rain, the fungi appear. But that’s not the focus of this photo. It’s that myriad of tiny waterdrops.

Liquid

The raindrops on the grass seem like miniature mimics of the mushroom: photo 24 September 2018

#2018picoftheweek: Liquid

As to the mushroom, I almost stood on it, so small and lost in the long grass.

This entry was posted in Photos and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to After the rain …

1. Lynn Love says:

Gorgeous image! Those drops are perfect

2. Nice capture for liquid. I love drops of water. They’re somehow so pleasing to the eye. And I like that you mention that they seem to mimic the shape of the mushroom! (Glad you didn’t step on it, BTW…)

Beautiful shot! And how perfect for the theme of “liquid.” You find such fascinating mushrooms in your area. I know intellectually (and from the internet) that such things exist, but seeing them from your perspective makes them seem so much more real, somehow. And ironically, then they get added to my fantasy world to become not-real — that is, magical — mushrooms.

Magic mushrooms … delivately put. And I appreciate your appreciation of my fungu photos. I’ve given up on trying to name them; so many all look alike and it all comes down to spore print, and what colour they bruise and if they smell like apples and custard or something foul. But some are distinctive, and those I can name.

Ooo, I hadn’t even thought about what they smell like. Good to remember!

A good guide book will tell you the smells. I tend to have a keen sense of smell, but I’ve a feeling you have to get down on the ground and sniff up close for this. I’ve never tried. Though having said that, that chestnut mushrooms I use for cooking definitely have an almost ammonia-type smell when raw.

I read a while back that part of the reason dogs can smell so much better is that they are literally putting their noses right there on the ground. So if people get down there and sniff hard, they can smell a lot more than they think. I tried it for a while and learned two things. (1) They’re right, I definitely could smell a lot more. (2) A lot of those smells were nasty, and I’d just as soon not smell them. 🙂 But for mushrooms, I’d make an exception.

Well, I do get fairly low down to get some of those photos. If it’s not wet feet, it’s wet knees. But I’ll leave you to do the sniffing.