Cracked Colour

I make no excuse for posting another fungi photo. The contrasting colours of the clustered fungi and the flint-like flakes of the pine stump rushed at my eyes and grabbed me.

Cracked Colour

Fungi, pine and heather at Waveney Forest: Photo 8th October 2018

Waveney Forest rises above the extensive Haddiscoe-Fritton grazing marshes. Even so, an unexpected view of abandoned windmills (I can count three, plus the C20th replacement).

Mills on the Waveney

Abandoned mills on the Waveney; Photo 8th October 2018

Also unexpected was this inlet of silver birches, all lopped off, looking like upstanding pencils, with their inner red bark ghosting through.

Pencil-like Birches

Pencil-like birches: Photo 8th October 2018

And the unexpected star of the day …

Earth Stars

Earth Stars: Photo 8th October 2018

The first time I’d seen an earthstar.

This entry was posted in Photos and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Cracked Colour

Gorgeous. And please, do NOT make apologies… you can post one every day! I would have stopped, too

2. Lynn Love says:

I’ve never even heard of an earth star, let alone seen one! That’s astonishing – weird and beautiful too. Yes, bring on the fungi, I say

This is the first I’d seen. It’s one of those I’d consigned to the ‘maybe, one day’ category. When I saw it I was like jumping and hooting: Yey, yey, yey! I didn’t attempt to name it within its family.
      And I note your enthusiasm for fungi. That’s as well, that’s mostly all I’m getting at the moment.

• Lynn Love says:

So exciting, seeing something unusual though. I’ve been excited by hearing wood peckers in the city. seeing house martins (as I’d never had them nesting close by before), foxes in the garden, the pipestrelles thar fly over our garden in the evening. All common enough sightings, but exciting for me. And I am fascinated by fungi, so keep those shots coming

I share your excitement at seeing new things (new to us, not to the world). The first time I saw a spoonbill, and a little egret (now become common as it’s taken to breeding across the marshes), and bearded tits, they’re beautiful; and the long-tailed tit I had to rescue from between sash windows; then the tiny firecrest that fell, exhausted, at hy feet. Incredible.
        And don’t fret. those fungi will keep on coming.

• Lynn Love says:

Sounds like you have a lovely array of birds near you – I get excited by sparrows round here! I’ll look forward to more fungi πŸ™‚

Since we’ve mentioned him in other contexts, I should mention that Lovecraft wrote a cycle of sonnets called “Fungi from Yuggoth.”

4. krcc says:

First time to see an Earthstar too.

And then, a couple a weeks later I saw another. I might get round to posting the pic, though it wasn’t easy to get focus, too much vegetation in front of it. Hence, at the moment it remains in my fungi-folder
      & thanks for the follow πŸ™‚