What Pegman Saw: Seth Boyden, Inventor

Statue to Seth Boyden, Washington Park, Newark, N J. Street View Google Maps

“And a good God’s Day to you, Nathaniel. And may I say that’s a natty pair of shoes on your feet. Imported are they, from the Old Country?”

“They are not! I bought them here in Newark. That watchmaker chap, set up here from Massachusetts, is fancifying the leather, making it shiny and dashing and…”

“Proper posh-looking?”

Nathaniel shuffled his shoulders. “They say he’s done something wondrous to iron as well. Made it bendable.”

“Oh yes?’ Samuel mocked. “But isn’t the purpose of iron not to bend?”

“Like as—I don’t know, iron isn’t my kettle.’ Nathaniel shuffled his shoulders again. ‘But I’ve heard he’s growing some real sweet strawberries.”

“Strawberries now is it? Is there no end to this man’s wonders? And what is his name, did you say?”

“Seth. Seth Boyden.”

133 words written for What Pegman Saw: Essex County, New Jersey

Born 1788 in Foxboro, Massachusetts, Seth Boyden moved to Newark in 1815 and proceeded to develop patent leather, malleable cast-iron – sought by gunsmiths and locksmiths – and, so it is said, perfected the daguerreotype photography method before, in his later years, turning his attention to gardening. He died in 1870.

See Deseret News, Feb 10, 1989 for the full story

This entry was posted in History, Mostly Micro and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to What Pegman Saw: Seth Boyden, Inventor

Brilliant piece and so intriguing I want to read more about him. The only guy I think of when I hear Newark NJ is Tony Soprano….

• You’ll find a certain amount on Wikipedia. Otherwise, having discovered him, I googled him and came up with a scan of a newspaper. I was going to include the link to that, but when I’ve done that it hasn’t taken cos it’s linked to my account.

2. Dear Crispina,

I enjoyed this bit of history. You left me wanting to know more. Well done.

Shalom,

Rochelle

3. Great piece here. I applaud the research, too.

What an interesting bit of history! Some people are chock-full of ideas, aren’t they?

5. Oh, thanks for introducing the Pegman clan to Seth Boyden. Now, it’s time for research. Always nice when a short piece sparks interest beyond the story.

6. k rawson says:

What a fun romp through the past. I especially loved the language. You can sure make a story sing!

What an interesting bio! And as someone who finds gardening baffling, I think I have my answer: maybe I’d have to master being a world-class inventor — and exercise my brain cells more — before being able to grasp the nuances of plant growth. 🙂

I will admit my ignorance of this man until now. Thank you for the introduction, Crispina!

9. MythRider says:

Good bit of history. I liked your dialogue. Sounded like it was from that time period. Good job.

10. An interesting person indeed!

11. Sounds as though he was a very versatile fella!