Arrested Motion

Last week I featured two butterflies and remarked that the restless flutterers tend only to pose with wings displayed for the patient photographer in the early morning in early season and on a warm day.

This first photo shows an Orange Tip doing that.

Orange Tip Butterfly

An Orange Tip takes a much-needed break to pose for me: 24th May 2019

This next one was playing shy, its wings folded.

Brimstone butterfly appends itself to a pink campion: 24th May 2019

And the final photo I declare to be a shot in a million …

Brimstone mating

The mating dance of a Brimstone couple. With a shutter speed of 1/800 sec my camera wasn’t fast enough: 24th May 2019

This entry was posted in Photos and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Arrested Motion

Beautiful shots crispina ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Were the butterflies in the last frame green? I’ve never seen ones like that.

Wow! Great shots, Crispina!
    Beautifully done!

I thank you. Frustrating I couldn’t get a fast enough shutter to freeze that mating dance. Yet the blur portrays it quite effectively. And that’s probably the last of the butterfly shots till they down in autumn. Though, who know, I might snap a damselfly or dragonfly with where I’m off to tomorrow.

4. Beautiful indeed! ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Tien Skye says:

Love the second photo! I had fun trying to figure out where the butterfly is. It’s really well camouflage that I would have surely missed it!

I know, it looks like a leaf.
      There are times I get home, upload my photos, and then spend the next hour hunting the elusive butterflies. It’s not always possible to get up close, so I might have to crop to a small part in the centre.

6. Tien Skye says:

Yes, but that is part of the fun ๐Ÿ™‚ Nature is really beautiful and clever, isn’t she?

Indeed. And butterflies are so much fun to photo. First you need find them. As you can see, some are very well hidden. Then you need to keep them in view while they do their thing. By which time they’re usually far beyond the zoom of your camera. Ho-hum. It’s as well that there are plenty of flowers to draw my lens. And the occasional old ruin or church. And, of course, rivers and ponds with deep reflections.

• Tien Skye says:

Yes, so many things to fill the camera lens, if we were conscientious to look for it! But moving objects like butterflies, birds and bees are most difficult for me to photograph. I have largely given up taking pictures of them and focus on scenery instead.

I feel a bit like that about birds. Despite they are so much bigger than butterflies, and don’t move so fast, unless they’re duck-size, nah, I never can fix them in focus