What Pegman Saw: I Revere Thee

Buddha at Sarnath

Buddha in repose at Sarnath (Varanasi); photo by Anuj Kumar, taken from Google Maps

To leave a life of wealth and power
And enter a sea of suffering and pain
To wander, begging bowl in hand
While its cause and cure to find;
Enlightenment at last beneath a tree:
For these reasons I revere thee
And would have your wisdom guide me.

Suffering brought by material wants
Torments by our hidden dreams
But quiet the clamouring body and mind
And a shining inner peace we find.

Welcome all with compassionate heart
And to all be kind
Find detachment through meditation
And eschew extreme’s exhilaration.

The Eight-Fold Path indeed is noble
A recipe for peace that’s global.
May we all awake to Buddha

Wordcount: 109

Written for What Pegman Saw: Varanasi, India

This entry was posted in Poems (Some Silly), Thoughts and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

44 Responses to What Pegman Saw: I Revere Thee

Wonderfully done.

I thank you, Dale. And you might guess, as soon as we saw the destination, I’d go for Buddha

• Dale says:

I might have…

I turned to Buddhism when, in my teens, I kicked western religions. Buddhism is a path to follow (and occasionally stray from), not a label that others can use as a handle.

• Dale says:

I have to admit I am curious about Buddhism as it seems like the only religion that has not started nor participated in any war…

Perhaps not the only one. But to follow the recommended path … what chance of war? And it’s not a religion as in church attendance, and baptism and stuff. I’m sure many people combine it with the usual western religions. Also, there’s no attempt to explain creation, though it might be noted over the centuries it has adopted certain Hindu myths.

• Dale says:

No, I know it’s not. Part of its appeal

So read up on it. You might find it brings calm to your life. And there’s no one waiting with a whip if for a while you stray. Indeed, from my own experience, I’d say each return is easier, each temptation less … tempting. In the end you follow the way without realising.

• Dale says:

I remember thinking this is nice when I watched the movie on Tina Turner. Anything is better than all the doctrine that I don’t believe in

Precisely. Must we pay lip service to something just because of where we’re born? Easier for me; Britain is now a land of heathens (except for a growing community of Muslims)

• Dale says:

Which are also heathens! All organised religion in my opinion

Many who practice wicca do so alone. But I know what you mean. It’s structured. with gods. What I question about wicca is how, because a statue is given flowers and incence is burned, does that help the Earth bloom and survive? These are rites to comfort the practitioner, not for the sake of any god/goddedd.

wow! This is an impressive piece. I mirror your desire to emulate the Buddha. But find myself lacking daily….

That’s what’s meant by self-observance. Observe oneself, recognise and acknwowldege, but don’t beat yourself up, just keep going To strive is to desire, and desire is the root of pain and suffering

3. Very nice. I have been to Sarnath and have seen the Buddha in repose. I read a lot about him in History and still reading, I respect him a lot. His sayings inspire and motivate me a lotπŸ™‚

Beautifully written Crispina πŸ™‚πŸŒΌ

5. pennygadd51 says:

There is much that is good and wise in Buddha’s teaching; it can help everybody. I liked your verse.

6. k rawson says:

Most excellent! There is much to love about Buddhism and this is both a tribute and an education.

7. An excellent piece for such a fabulous statue. The reclining Buddha and peace are so intertwined, and I love how you captured that.

8. great post πŸ™‚

9. Lovely poem. I like the image too.

10. Oh that is lovely. πŸ™‚

11. Stunning crimson prose. Stunningly simple. Stunningly deep. A recipe for inner peace for all to enjoy. Thank you.