What Pegman Saw: Portland Bill

Portland Bill built a still in his cellar deep
Asked his ally, Emerald Sally, his secret for to keep
She kept it well, she dug a well, his moonshine for to store
All was fine till the cops saw the sign, now Bill distils no more

Written for What Pegman Saw

This entry was posted in Mostly Micro, Poems (Some Silly) and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

59 Responses to What Pegman Saw: Portland Bill

Hey Crispina…. How come you don’t add your link up to the Pegman site? Just curious…

That said, this was fun.Silly Sally supplied a sign? Not good for a secretive business 😉

Ooooo that was fun!

I thank you. Just a silly bit of rhyme inspired by the fact I know Portland was heavily involved in bootlegging, plus there’s a lighthouse on the island of Portland (Dorset, England) called Portland Bill. I have photos of it, taken back in the days of 35mm 🙂

3. A great fun take on the prompt and I love the old-world feel of it.

Fast fun! I like that! 😊

5. k rawson says:

That was an intoxicating confection of words Crispina. Like a bourbon filled truffle. Absolutely loved it!

Glad to see you are on the Linkup too! Thank you Dale for IT support. You’re hired! 😉

6. Very clever and fun!! Thanks for the lift!

7. Dear Crispina,

That was jolly good fun. Short and intoxicating. 😀

Shalom,

Rochelle

8. Bear says:

Oh, that one was hilarious! I live in Kentucky where moonshining was, at one time, the only way to get corn over the mountains… or so the old ones say. My memaw was a shiner. She sold it to feed her family and raised three boys and a girl on the proceeds. She was even once arrested by the Sheriff who was my Husband’s Grandfather…and a distant cousin to boot. Oh, this story brought back some happy memories of wild ‘whiskey’ tales! Love it!

9. This is delightfully fun.

10. Sweet bit of doggerel. I was a whiskey salesman for a time when I lived in Portland. It’s a drinkin’ place, all right.

I thank you. I’m not terrifically u[ on U..S. history etc, but years upon years ago I had a penfriend in Oregon. I learned a little from him, as he recounted family anecdotes. And basically the rest wrote itself.