Distant Horizons

Camping Constellation by Pexels

Camping Constellation by Pexels on pixabay

Distant horizons call to me.
Beyond the land,
Beyond the sea,
Beyond the clouds
And the day-bright sky,
Distant horizons call to me.

Star-bright horizons call to me.
Beyond the local galaxies,
Beyond Gamma, Iota and Beta Cephei,
And Polarisโ€”Alpha Ursa Minor,
Beyond Alpha Draconis, the Egyptian Thuban,
Beyond Tau and Iota Herculis,
Beyond Vega, the bright star Alpha Lyrae,
Beyond the northern Valkyries, Alpha and Delta Cygni.
Star-bright horizons call to me.

74 words

Written for:

This entry was posted in Poems (Some Silly) and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Distant Horizons

1. Ramyani Bhattacharya says:

Wow. This is so great to read. ๐Ÿ˜Š

You were right in being chuffed about this one, Crispina!

And, no, I did not know all these stars have acted as the Northern Star ๐Ÿ˜‰

I thank you, Dale.
      Some of the stars I already knew from way back. Others I discovered more recently. And something I’d recently seen on YouTube brought them all back. Amazingly, only one of them Polaris, can really be ssid to mark the pole. Some are as much as 7 to 10 degrees off centre. Amazing, then, that Egyptians aligned the Great Pyramid to the Celestial North (to within 10 minutes of the pole) using any of these. Only Polaris would allow them that. And Polaris wasn’t the Pole Star until (I think) 1,100 bce. Humph. Something’s adrift here. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Dale says:

Some things are inexplicable…
        The ancient civilizations knew things we’ll never comprehend.

Indeed. And in our ignorance we try to project our technology on them.

Yep.
        Oh what an evening. One of my neighbours had a burst pipe, turned off the water at street level, turned mine off too. I didn’t know this, called in the water people, nice engineer came out, checked the taps outside. Eight taps our of sixteen had been turned off. Blinking heck. Whats more, the neighbour had left the tap covers up, and this a busy sidewalk, and anyone could have come a cropper. Phew, some people. So now I’m in from the cold and can have a coffee. Except I don’t do coffee at this time of night. And, sorry, I just had to share that. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Dale says:

Nice neighbour. Didn’t feel like letting you know?
        That seems to be the least one could do.
        Have an herbal tea – I don’t do nighttime coffee either, unless I’ve had sufficient wine to counter balance.

The very nice man from the water company said some very cutting things about the neighbour’s lack of consideration and proper behaviour while said neighbour’s window was open (open, cos he’d just been leaning out of it yelling abuse at the water guy for turning the water back on and … oops, he had a leak. Yea, but his was one tap out of 16, and he’d turned off 8, and left them turned off. Naughty. So, I have had a Red bush tea, cos that’s my prefered non-coffee beverage, and read the first chapter of my new kindle-read, so I’m feeling whizzo now, and now it’s time to saunter into the bathroom and experience water that falls out of the taps! Later … ๐Ÿ™‚

3. I didn’t know that about the Pole Star but it didn’t matter, your words transported me with a sense of yearning and infinity.

I am not delighting in your suffering from a water shut-off, instead the restoration. Luckily we’re on our own pipe, and the shut-off valve is in the cellar. Well, three of the shut-off valves are in the cellar. As it turned out, two of them didn’t work when I HAD to get them to work, thanks to a leak. The third one, which actually worked, was so old and rusty that the municipal water utility had it replaced.

Hey, I’ve got a dedicated pipe too. But the tap is outside, the other side of the complex, in a communal row beneath little black lids. The neighbour had turned eight of these off. Totally illegal to do so. Anyway, plumber came yesterday, turned the water off (again) while he fitted new kitchen taps (faucets to you) and a new ‘gate valve’ to the hot water tank. Took him most of the day. A wet week, let’s hope this coming week is better. BTW Happy Birthday ๐Ÿ™‚