Sunday Fungi: Mama Fly

A while back I posted a photo of an emergent (baby) fly agaric … which sparked an interesting thread of comments. Well, here’s the fully grown version.

Fly Agaric

Fly Agaric open cap: 13 November 2018

It’s not often I arrive on the scene before the sparrows and squirrels have taken their bites. Here’s a rare one that’s survived more or less intact.

And as a reminder, here’s ‘Baby Joe’

fly agaric

This entry was posted in Photos and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Sunday Fungi: Mama Fly

There’s a bit of irony: one of the posts that just came up for me in “MORE IN CRIMSONPROSE” is one entitled “Earth Eggs and Brackets” which begins, “The last of my fungi photos . . .”

Ah, well, you see, you gave to grease palms to earn such coincidentals. But, ‘Earth Eggs and Brackets’? Wasn’t that two years ago? Or did I do some last yeat? So many fungi, so many photos, so many posts. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Brian Bixby says:

It was from Oct. 30, 2016. Apparently WP found a mystical connection between that and today’s post that put it ahead over all other fungi posts.

Or maybe they’ve been eating too many fungi.

No, I think I’ll go for the mystical connection. 30th October? Isn’t that close to Halloween? And 9th Dec, close to my brother’s birthday. Clearly the mythical connection if Mithras.
        On the other hand …

Wow! What a difference from baby to adult! I would have thought they were two separate varieties! Then again, I know absolutely diddly-squat about ‘shrooms…

Another stunner! I would never have thought that those were the same kind of mushroom at different stages. Very interesting. And I can see why the birds and squirrels like it — it looks like a dessert!

I’m not sure that birds and squirrels share our ideas about deserts. But I agree, they look so unalike. That’s why I was pleased when I found this flat-platter-mama, and almost untouched. Not sure if that’s a slice cut out, or a split.