By the Parishioners’ Door

There is a group of parish churches in southeast Norfolk with south doors a rival to the rising sun.

Ashby St Mary church door

Ashby St Mary church, Norfolk: Photo taken April 2018

Dated to early C12th, it’s thought the work was performed by a German or Dutch stonemason who was visiting the area. Why was his visiting? Well, the design is remarkably similar to that found at Norwich Cathedral of the same approximate date.

#picoftheweek challenge: Entrance

Ashby St Mary c;lose up

Ashby St Mary up close

See also my blog of 2016: The Confusing Case of The Norman Arches, written when I stumbled upon the first of this group at Hellington.

This entry was posted in History, Photos and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to By the Parishioners’ Door

1. That is some serious stone-work. I’m constantly in awe when I see something like this. The work it must have taken. Just wow!

2. Judy says:

Love it ! Great shot , great door?

I thank you, Judy. I love the way the stone is carved in what can only be a sunburst. Lord of the Light, indeed. And I have tried to ‘encourage’ that sunlike quality to shine through

What a beautiful arch! Especially interesting on such an otherwise unimposing door. The stone looks almost yellow, too, to add to the sunburst effect. At first I thought it was actually gold-painted! Is that the type of stone, or does it only appear yellow in the photo because of the lighting?

While I have ‘intensified’ the yellow, it is inherent in the stone. I’m not sure the source of the stone. If I’m right and it was executed by the same mason as the south door at Norwich cathedral, then it probably came from Caen, in France. Except, that stone tends towards pink, at least in presence of fire damage. All I can say for certain is we have no native stone in Norfolk, except flint and chalk bedrock, but while that chalk tends to yellow with age, it also tends to crumble and be slightly greasy (great for hopscotch). The stone here isn’t that.

Imported stone sounds plausible, and even more impressive, that they went to such lengths.

Indeed. But as I said in the post, this is one of several in the area. I should have said ‘unique’ to the area.
        There is a parish church just outside Norwich with carving that is astonishingly well preserved but I think it dates from slightly later, and the patterns are different.