After the Snow

Yesterday I was finally able to take the camera for a walk. And I found this, lost in the midst if several acres of snow-melt.

After the Snow

Snowdrops caught in the snow-thaw: Photo 6th March 2018

It was a day of firsts. The first clear shot I’ve had of a Little Egret. These used to be summer visitors to Breydon Water. Over recent years they have taken to breeding in East Anglia and have gradually worked their way up the rivers till now they’re more common inland than in the estuaries. But they’re skittish, and my zoom isn’t very powerful. So stretching the limits . . .

Little Egret

Little Egret, a kind of oriental-looking bird, so I’ve given the photo a kind of oriental treatment; Photo 6th March 2018, west of Norwich

This entry was posted in Photos and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to After the Snow

I hope you have no regrets about your egrets.

Nice one. If I have, it’s only that I couldn’t get closer. Ironic, it’s the same place as I saw a pair of roe deer, that sodded off before I could as much as raise the camera. Yet incredibly, this is barely 200 yards away from housing.

• Brian Bixby says:

Once I get through some of this estate work (dealing with the taxman this week), and the weather gets nicer, I am going to HAVE to get out and do a little nature photography. Let’s just say you and Judy inspire me, even though I will never have the interest to become as good at it as either of you.

No, Judy has the expertise. Basically, I see something interesting, do my best to compose the picture (if I’ll do it once I get home, on the laptop), change settings if needed, and click. Usually about half a dozen clicks, just to make sure the wind doesn’t blur everything, or my hands shake as I lose my balance and tumble into the water. Apparently, it’s all in that ‘eye’, to see the shot, or pull it out once I’m home.

• Judy says:

I saw a boat around here not too long ago with the name ” No Egrets”…..not sure if they didn’t like egrets coming onto the boat or were doing a play on words…depends on the emphasis I suppose.

2. Judy says:

Well the Little Egret looks a lot like our Snowy Egret. So much so I looked it up. Apparently there are differences in the head plumes being more simple and longer in the little egret and more feathery in the snowy. And the Little has a gray lore vs the snowy’s yellow. But on first glance I would have picked it to be a non breeding snowy or something. It did look kind of cold out there by the water. Nice bird and scene.

I felt quite confident of the identification for the Little Egret has arrived here from France where it is quite common, while there has only been one sighting of the Showy Egret here, it, being native to America. But other, yea, very little difference, and that not easy to see in the field and from this distance.