The Solstice

fantasy by kellepics

The sun has left, has gone away
cold and darkness rules the day
the earth is hard, the trees are bare
bleak and barren winter’s here.

But light the fire and watch it burn
and know the sun will yet return,
bringing warmth and life and light,
a beacon to help us through this night.

When all is cold and dark and drear
remember the solstice message here:
First comes the light as if to say
life hasn’t really gone away,
then warmth returns, and flowers bloom;
be sure of this – the sun comes home.

First posted December 2012
Image by kellepic on pixabay

This entry was posted in Thoughts and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to The Solstice

1. Dina says:

Lovely work!
    Happy Holidays and a fabulous New Year to you and yours❣️🌿❤️🤶🎄🎅
    The Fab Four of Cley 💃🏼🚶👭

2. Judy says:

Beautiful !
    Merry Christmas!

And with echoing all the good wishes, it is quite a change to notice how you’ve pared back the titles on the headers by taking things off-line.:)

No, they’re not off-line. All the fiction, excepting Feast Fables, is still accessible through Archives and Categories. But I have removed all links to FF for obvious reasons. And I’m slowly going over the oldest of posts and deleting those that really were naff and noting which ones might be worth an airing . . . such as this one. So very few people both to go back through the archives. Yet there are gems buried there, most by most cos when I first started I had but one follower. You. I do thank you for your support over the years and do hope it continues.But you’ve been a good friend, off-line, as well as a follower. And for that, too, I thank you. See, this is what happens when I have less than a glass of wine. I get all gushy, with unstoppable fingers. Take that as you will. 🙂

• Brian Bixby says:

I am marking down this day, as I must wonder who managed to tempt you to drink wine. Doesn’t strike me as Shen’s style, but I could understand other family members driving you to it. 😉

Actually, I had been out to supermarket to fetch in food for festive season (not that I do anything special, it’ll be just we two). And I thought, now do we usually have wine with Christmas dinner? I know there was a time we did not, cos said daughter was having trouble with acid reflux. But that seemed to be sorted. So, can’t have Chrimbo dinner without a drink. But no way was I going to return to supermarket. So I want to the little corner shop, which also sells wine. I rather fancied a shiraz. Oh look, some exceptionally cheap Sicilian Shiraz (try saying that when you’re drunk!) So I bought. 2 bottles. Well it was cheap. But on getting it home I then wondered if, being cheap, it was drinkable. I’m too keen of drinking neat vinegar. So I opened a bottle. I poured a meagre finger-measure. I tentatively sipped. Bloody ‘ell. That’s smooth. That’s real nice. So I had to have more. I did buy 2 bottles, after all.

• Brian Bixby says:

I am the same way when confronting chocolates, or making baked goods. I MUST sample, to ensure that the people I am feeding will enjoy the goods. And one sample, well, that could be an anomaly, so a second sample will be needed. Etc.

Perhaps that’s why baking. But, really, could I give my daughter something that more resembled semi-dehydrated vinegar. I didn’t demolish it all, I swear it. But, as you know, I don’t often drink. So a little went a very long way.

• Brian Bixby says:

Madam, it is the solstice season. So long as you do not make yourself sick, you are forgiven a decanter’s worth of sins this day.

That would make me sick. I always feel it’s such a waste to upchuck good food and alcohol.

• Brian Bixby says:

Metaphorical decanter, Crispina, metaphorical. Sorry about that. I was being clever. Well, I thought I was being clever. Haven’t had my coffee and cognac yet.

And I’m trying not to have too much of the coffee, with or without. But I’m happy to wade through the rewrite and the editing. This past week I’ve stumbled upon two scenes that needed a massive rework. It’s almost writing afresh again. Me likes.

• Brian Bixby says:

I always find myself torn between KNOWING a rewrite would help, and HATING getting rid of something in the passage I originally liked.

True. This one’s had so many rewrites and edits, I’ doubt there’s much left from the first draft. Jeez, the story was totally different then.