What Pegman Saw: Chief Kai’s Canoe

Kaieteur Falls, Guyana, by Sunil Thaor, on Google Maps

Huge, the tree Makonaima made that night; every kind of fruit it bore.

Evil, the son who chopped it down.

Great, the gush of water that issued from that stump.

Immeasurable, the work of Makonaima to gather up the animals, to place them high in the trees and deep into caves.

High and low, the places he gave to the saved when that land dried.

Sacrifices, they made to Markonaima, creator and saviour, when they needed aid.

And so regards Kaieteur Falls, they do say…

Chief Kai, when his tribe were by the Caribs threatened

In a canoe, did sacrifice himself to its roaring waters.

105 words, written for What Pegman Saw: Guyana, South America

This entry was posted in Mostly Micro and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

42 Responses to What Pegman Saw: Chief Kai’s Canoe

This has the earmark of legend. Masterfully done.

2. Lynn Love says:

Legendary, as Violet says. Lovely rhythmic quality too, just right for something that might have been passed orally from generation to generation. I’m intrigued – is this based in any way on an existing legend?

I keep staring at the picture, it’s amazing. I keep rereading the legend. I want to say intoxicating. Combined with the classical music I have playing…. it is.

4. pennygadd51 says:

I like the voice you’ve chosen for this story. As Lynn says, it’s a story-teller’s voice, reciting words that have been handed down through many generations.

5. k rawson says:

Fresh take on the prompt. The rhetorical device you’ve employed really takes it to the next level!

This was fabulous, Crispina!
    You do mythical legends so very well.

7. I mean, that’s one way to use a waterfall, methinks.

8. I enjoy the spiritual nature of native people. They appreciate and respect God’s creation.

• Mmm, I was impressed when I read their myths. But then we have to ask who recorded those myths? For the most part, it was Christian missionaries. One wonders how much influence those missionaries had on the telling and the recording. Sad to think it, but it might be so.

• Your make some valid points. Someone had to record these myths so much can be lost in the process.

• Time… long time ago… I read Sir James Frazer and was amazed how all these cultures around the world shared at least the same motifs to their myths. And then I researched the man. Yea, sure that shared their myths. Cos the great James Frazer wrote to the many missionaries around the world asking for them to record the native myths. And lo! Almost all came back with features shared with the Biblical Flood. Note, this does refer to his book, THe Great Flood.

• I appreciated learning some new information.