The epitome of the cottage garden, this showiest of native flowers isn’t, as you might think, named for the fox. Nope, no fox ever wore these on its fingers. It is named for German botanist Leonhard Fuchs.
A pretty flower… pretty lethal. Ingestion causes nausea, diarrhoea, drooling, abnormal heart rate, weakness, collapse, tremors, seizures… and death. But it also makes the eyes dilate, and so precious ladies in ages past used it to snaggle a mate. With that list of symptoms, it won’t surprise you to learn it’s the source of digitalin, a group of medicines used for heart problems.