Upon a Woodland Floor

When the woods turn blue I know spring has settled in, and summer won’t be long.

Bluebell woods

Green Hills Woods, Costessey: 23rd April 2019

bluebells

The English bluebell, mark of an ancient woodland: 23rd April 2019

The task is which photos to use. So many this year. And amongst the blue, shyly hiding, there is white.

wood sorrel

Tiny, delicate, wood sorrel: 23rd April 2019

wood anemone

The wood anemone, most delicate of its family: 23rd April 2019

Photos all taken in Green Hills Woods at Costessey.

This entry was posted in Photos and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Upon a Woodland Floor

I love bluebells! When I lived in Texas it was covered in them come spring. Just got to Alaska 2 hours ago its 5 am here.. not sure what my connectivity will be after Mon. but I am gonna go get a new phone and carrier tomorrow so I can at least post by phone if necessary…

HI Violet, now located in Alaska. And I’m thinking the bluebells you knew in Texas were probably Spanish bluebells. They’re bigger than the English one, and a deeper blue. They’re grown in England as a garden plant, and there’s an increasing threat of garded escapees outgrowing the native plant.
      But bluebells are beautiful whichever strain they are. And the smell, with the sun on them … divine. But that doesn’t photograph so well!

2. You’re photo’s give me hope ๐Ÿ™‚ Actually the little dusting of snow that we had yesterday has all melted ๐Ÿ™‚ Today I woke up to a bright sunny day. Still chilly outside with a temperature of 1 C.

Ouch, 1 degree C. Here’s me complaining cos it’s only 10C. It has been warmer, early in April it hit 16. But the forecast for the coming week, though dry, is pretty grim. Guess it’s the winds holding it down. And wind ain’t good for taking photos. Even if the subject holds still (how likely is that with fragile flowers), it still batters me. Ho-hum. Could be worse. ๐Ÿ™‚

3. Tien Skye says:

Ooh, I love that photo of bluebells! So pretty!

Of course the Blue field of Green Hills Woods is lucious. But who can’t love the delicacy of the white wood anemone ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Just gorgeous thanks for sharing these! โค

6. Karen Craven says:

Bluebells are my favorite. Iโ€™ll be planting at me new house. Thank you for reminding me how much I love them.

7. These are beautiful! Looks so serene and well kept. Now, there are concrete jungles all over and I love to be in natureโค๏ธ

8. Beautiful photos, Crispina, as always ๐Ÿ™‚ You know I love bluebells, but I love wood anemone too. They make such a pretty carpet on the woodland floor ๐Ÿ™‚

But becoming increasingly rare.
      Though there are two banks of them, not in woodland, but adorning field-boundaries that have been cut into the old Mousehold Heath. Since there are also bluebells growing there, and bluebells are definitely a woodland plant, then I’d suggest this part of Mousehold (around Blofield and Hemblington) was originally wooded.

9. Hรฉlรจne - Willow Poetry says:

Magnificent photos, loving the delicate white amongst all the blue. Truly a magical woodland.