What Pegman Saw: Semjaza’s Descent

This wasn’t his first tour of duty; he’d been stationed here twice, though it was his first visit to this southern continent.

He shuddered and quivered: his body’s rebellion. How did the grey techs do it? It wasn’t only the unimaginable distances; it was the way the sleep reversed most signs of aging. Think what that did for his pulling-power; it had to be worth a little sickness.

Beneath him … white, a blanket of cloud … his craft cut through it … it thinned …

Woah! Shit! No!

He’d have hit the brakes hard if his craft had had them.

Land in the high places, the grey techs said, where the natives can’t see your craft.

Yikes! But what were those natives doing, building houses up here?

Semjaza pulled up, a steep bank to his right.

Too late; ill-judged. His craft smashed into the mountain’s granite face.

Wordcount: 148

Written for What Pegman Saw: Cusco

This entry was posted in Mostly Micro and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to What Pegman Saw: Semjaza’s Descent

1. Hair-raising ride through the Andes. Great story.

Sci-fi riff, eh? Unusual for you. But then Cuzco is an unusual place.

H.P. Lovecraft theorized that one of his alien races did just this, land in high places, which, he explained, is why parts of Vermont, the “Green Mountain” state (for you Brits who don’t know that), were unsafe.

Thanks, Brian. It’s not entirely new, though it is newly written. Inspiration was taken from a story, which remains on my hard-drive/back-burner, part-written, itself inspired by the notion of Ancient Aliens. One day I might return to it. When I’ve had enough of Fallen Angels!

3. Tien Skye says:

Ok, I wasn’t expecting that ending! What a ride!

Wow that height is dizzying just from the picture. Awe inspiring. This is my first intro to Pregman. I like it.

Brilliantly told, Crispina. I want to know more about sleep reversing the aging process though…

As I explained, earlier, to Brian, this was inspired by a story I started and put on back-burner. The ‘visitors’ (observers) are shunted about the universe by the grey-suited techs who, by some wizardry, manipulate time and space. I think it has to do with those excess 22 dimensions that collapsed into our remaining 4 (argueably 5) dimensions during the first nano-second after the Bang. Werll, that’s my theory. I shall one day return to that story. It was fun.

6. k rawson says:

This instantly made me think of Chariots of the Gods/Ancient Aliens. I like how you’ve told this from the alien’s POV. Great to see you as always!

7. One of my favorite hikes is in the NC mountains – it includes the site of a plane that crashed in the 70’s under similar circumstances.

What a ride, Crispina! Love this viewpoint… sucks for the poor bugger who misjudged…

9. Lynn Love says:

This is great, Crispina. Can see this a longer piece, following the pilots through other civilisations, onto other quests. Great write