What Pegman Saw: Piss-Poor Pete

Alice Springs by Bernhard Abele

Original image by Bernhard Abele

I have a soft spot for Piss-Poor Pete.

Born to penniless parents, far from a beach in Northern Territory; cut school early to earn a living; couldn’t find work so joined the army; broke his back vaulting a horse and disabled out; working now for meals and tips at a down-and-out boarding house in Alice Springs.

But in all these years his dream hasn’t changed: To surf with the big boys at Byron Bay.

Written for What Pegman Saw

This entry was posted in Mostly Micro and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to What Pegman Saw: Piss-Poor Pete

1. Hope he gets his wish. Unfortunate name, though. Which came first, the name or the misfortune?

2. Lynn Love says:

Wat a great character piece this is! Pete jumps off the page – just his name conjures images – and that potted bio is just fab. Love the fact the man’s dreams have never died, despite his hard reality. Fantastic

I thank you, Lynn. Really appreciate that comment. I scrolled through the photos but nothing grabbed me. Then in this shot, that piece of wood in the foreground made me think of a surfboard, and with that arc of water … it could be the curl of a wave. Together, this seemed the perfect place of frustrated surfer to get lost in his dreams. The rest followed.

• Lynn Love says:

I struggled this week too. Something about that brown, barrenness. I love lush greens I suppose – too used to rain sodden landscapes here :). You did a brilliant job and I’d love to hear more about this character.

I thank you for the appreciations. Yea, Piss-Poor has proven popular; he might resurface at some stage. Depends on the prompts.

3. A poetic piece of prose with pathos, very goodly written.

And very often, it is our dreams that keep us going.. You created an admirable character in this Crispina. I enjoyed meeting your piss poor Pete.

Yes.Looking back at the image, it does look like a Surf Board. I could envisage each stage of his life.AND I love the alliteration finish. Nice 😊🌹

6. Piss poor Pete, conjures up a few memories of my own. I like this piece!

I love this, Crispina! You have nothing if you don’t have at least one dream…

8. Kim Smyth says:

Loved that character and story, went one back but can’t find what a Pegman is. Is that Australian?

Ah, Pegman: What Pegman Saw is a weekly prompt put out by Karen Rawson. Link is at the bottom of my Pegman posts. It’s open to everyone. Check out the link, and read what she has to say. 🙂