My Grandma Lived Over the Track

Wymondham Level Crossing

Crimson’s Creative Challenge #20

My grandma lived over the track
One up, one down, in a house painted black
A stile over the fence to the well out back
Oxlip meadow, goats and a wood stack
If I crossed the lines I’d get a smack
Cos my grandma, you see, lived over the track

Written for Crimson’s Creative Challenge

True story:
My grandparents lived beside the Norwich to London line, and the only way to it was across the track. My mother was terrified I’d wander across on my own; never paying attention, in a world of my own.

This entry was posted in Crimson's Creative Challenge, Poems (Some Silly) and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to My Grandma Lived Over the Track

This was so entertaining, and finding out its a part of your truth made it ever so much more enjoyable.. Loved this little window into your world.

2. Love what you did with the prompt. Did you have it in mind when you posted the photo for your challenge? Just curious 🙂

I thank you. I never think of my own take on the prompt until after I’ve chosen and posted the photo. Though I do chose photos that, to me, seem able to inspire multiple takes. I’ve already chosen next week’s photo. But I’m dilly-dallying between theming something on frogs, or on water sprites. And now you’re wondering what the photo. 🙂

Love this. Am now contemplating my submission…

4. Ramyani Bhattacharya says:

Love the flow of your poem. 😁

My grandmother lived on an Avenue with Street Car Tracks and NEVER did we try to cross over. Thanks for bringing back warm loving memories 🌼

6. I love this Crispina, not only is it amusing, but it gives a real sense of nostalgia and atmosphere of a different time.

7. I see what you mean! Train tracks can be frightening, indeed!

8. Love both the poem and the story behind it 🙂

Last week, walking under a railway bridge, the big never-ending London train came. And my daugter laugter (kindly) I’d my head pulled in like a tortoise. Still the child when trains come fast on me.