Blue Ice

Living beside the sea with its salt-laden air, on those rare occasions when snow and ice deign to grace us with their whiteness, it tends to be sparse and not last much beyond dawn. How then to find a photo for #2019picoftheweek challenge: Frozen?

Upton Staithe

Upton Staithe lies silent beneath its cover of ice: 20th |Jan 2017

Two winters back, the day being bright and the camera new, I caught the bus inland to Acle, thence a walk through to the riverside village of Upton, in the hopes of finding something snap-worthy at this barren season. Lo!

For details of #2019picoftheweek challenge  see MariaAntonia

This entry was posted in Photos and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Blue Ice

Very nice. I’m in northern California and it doesn’t snow here either

Oh, it does sometimes snow. It just doesn’t stay. Though that sa;t-laden air plays havoc with cars and anything else of corrodible metal.
      BTW: the photo was taken a mere 8 miles inland.

That is lovely. You want ice? I’ll give you ice. LOTS AND LOTS of it 😉

3. That ice IS blue! The whole photo is making me cold. 🙂

And for some reason, I want to climb into the picture and take a walk on that ice. (Although, I probably wouldn’t dare, just in case I fell through!)

I doubt it was particularly thick. The village had caught a sharp frost overnight. But by the time I got there it only remained where the sun didn’t shine. In town … nothing.
      I took several photos, including a rather fascinating puddle on a farm track. Wonderful murky colours!

The color of the blue ice is amazing — such depth to it! I wouldn’t have realized it was ice without you saying so and looking more closely. It looks almost magical: you got it in just the right light.

That blue is a reflection of the blue sky, paler of course near the horizon where, in that photo, it can mostly be seen. But I think also the state of the water, absolutely still, helps to deepen the colour (this is a staithe, water gently flows in from the river, but then goes nowhere). And of course, the sun-defying trees, without which that ice would have melted. I’ve other photos taken that day, but I don’t like flashing up the registration of boats and cars on the Web. Tantamount to invasion of privacy. 🙂

Good point about the car and boat registration. You could use photo software to blur them out. I use GIMP, which is free. Takes a little getting used to and I’m still no expert, but it’s super useful for getting rid of modern bits in otherwise Eneana-friendly photos that I find online.

Yea, the software I use would do it. I just prefer not. Obviously, if it was a super-doper must-use photo I’d do it. Otherwise not. But thanks for the thought. 🙂

5. That is an amazing shade of blue. This photo evokes coldness. I now need a cup of tea to warm up 🙂