Asaric Tales e-book Update #13

Asaric Tales update 13

Asaric Axis (Asaric Tales Book Two)

O yay! O yay! I finally got those rewrites in Book Two done, including the nightmare that was those dreams. That book is now out with a beta-reader and I await her feedback.

Asaric Skies (Asaric Tales Book Three)

This has also gone out to beta-readers—and my many-many thanks to those who volunteered. Some of you have been exceedingly fast in reading, responding and returning. To date I have had one part- plus two full returns. And just from these I know I have more fixing to do. However, unlike the dreams in Book Two, I’m hoping this can be corrected with a few well-placed insertions and several lines of rewording. But I shan’t attempt that until all the betas have returned all their parts.

Asaric Sons (Asaric Tales Book Four)

It seems incredible that we’re just on the year round and already I’m able to report on Book Four. Book Four, no less! Wow.

So, while the beta readers are busy beta reading, and I await their comments with breath held and fingers crossed, I’ve turned my attention to this penultimate book.

First, I need to reacquaint myself with its plot and its incoming characters, to check out the details, make sure I’ve got the ‘science’ right, replace any vital scenes previously deleted in haste, and generally make sure it all hangs together. Of course, while I do that, it doesn’t hurt to replace the imperfect with the perfect (tenses, that is) and remove any extraneous words and purple proses (not that there are any, of course). All of which has kept me busy this past month. Moreover, since I’ve only just reached the two-thirds mark, it’ll keep me going for a while longer. Thereafter, the ‘proper’ rewrite.

Book Cover Design

I first encountered Lauren as a potential critique partner. And, wow! Our relationship has grown way beyond that, to mutual satisfaction (at least, I hope she agrees that). With both having a multiple-book series in progress, we’ve become each other’s sounding boards, with much passing of emails, personal anecdotes, recommendations, links and humour. You could could say we’ve become good pals. But more than that, Lauren has taken on the design of my book covers.

I was hesitant at first; I hadn’t seen any of her work, though I knew she had a strong design background having worked freelance in illustration and more recently onboard one of the UK’s largest greeting card companies (which she now has left to start a card design company with her husband) Anyway, I was sold from the very first sight of the first ‘rough’ … she had captured the feel and the essence of the story to perfection. But could she deliver the same for the others? With a 5-book series, it’s essential the covers connect in some obvious way.

To date I’m sitting happy on three book covers, and Lauren is working on the fourth. Though she hasn’t read the full series yet, she has read the synopsis, plus we’ve discussed it. And she has such a feel for the story. I swear, that day we first connected the gods of fantasy fiction were smiling upon us!

Lauren is currently building up a design portfolio and is open to a range of projects. Want to know more? Contact Lauren at Under One Cloud ( https://www.underonecloud.net ) where you’ll find samples of her work.

So am I going to flash a sneak preview? I hear you ask. Sorry, but I’m holding the covers close to my chest until all is prepared. Then I’ll do the full ‘tra-la-lah’ with a drum-roll thing.

In the meantime

I thank you, beta readers, past, present and future

And wish those who read and/or follow this blog the season’s best greetings

And I trust you’ll all have a glorious New Year

And finally, the next e-book update will be Sunday 6th January 2019

This entry was posted in On Writing, The Spinner's Game and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Asaric Tales e-book Update #13

1. Lynn Love says:

Great progress, Crispina! It astonishes me that you can keep track of so many books – an entire series from beginning to end – and not lose track or focus. I struggle with one and ideas for a sequel!
    And I join you in a hearty ‘here-here’ for Lauren’s skills as a beta reader. She’s got a great eye for detail, had some great suggestions for my own book and struck a perfect balance of praise and critical eye – essential when we’re exposing our babies to the world. Will be excited to see her designs when you’re ready to share. A fantasy marriage made in heaven. All best wishes and thanks again for the intro to Lauren x

I’m so pleased she turned up trumps for you. While it’s true, we get on very well, yet that’s no guarantee it’ll work for another.
      As to keeping track … The Asaric Tales began as just the one book. But it was too big, it needed the division. So I took it to three, a trilogy. But that required a certain restructuring. And that increased the words further. And then I did it again … So to me, it’s still only one book. The five have been a slow evolution, and thus easy to keep tabs on.
      But though I say they’re all one book, yet each is quite distinctive in so many ways.

• Lynn Love says:

She was great, truly. Now I just have to act on some of the things she spotted … That’s a fascinating process you’ve bee through with Asaric Tales – a series originally masquerading as one book. At least that way you already had the overall arc in place – you knew where you were going from the off.

True, although there has been some minor changes, brought about by the division of one into three, and then into five. Every time requires an arc for each book, and the plot points don’t always fall where you’d plan.
        But the biggest change has come just this week. I’ve altered the ending. Not majorly. But there’s a face-off, and we finally get to know what Kerrid’s deepest, darkest, most awful secret. And that’s what I’ve changed. I love reversals, and the overal story is already a major reversal on a very old myth. Well, now I’ve reversed it again. I haven’t yet told Lauren. She’ll either laugh and love it, or ask me if I’ve lost my mind. 🙂

• Lynn Love says:

But if it really feels right … I’m a great believer in going with your gut. You write and you write well, you know what feels right for your story. If the change felt wrong alarms would be jangling in your head. I’m sure Lauren will see where you’re coming from

Sounds rather feeble, that I should be concerned, but she has such a feel for this story. But then I do remember her reaction when she read the original line. She politely thought it a bit of a damp squib!

• Lynn Love says:

It’s not feeble at all and if she feels for the story that deeply, she’ll probably agree with you. No damp squib either by the sound of things 🙂

Hmm. So I’m now composing an email to explain it. Only, I have first to explain where I’m coming from. As long as she gets that, she’ll understand the rest, no problem and will fully agree with me. If not … my book, my baby, my plot, my twists!

• Lynn Love says:

Urgh, I know! They are our babies, the characters our friends and when someone doesn’t understand them it’s as if they’ve dared to say one of our kids has a nice personality, but isn’t exactly a looker! Hard to kill those darlings.

Well, email sent. I’ve told her I need an immediate reply else I shall explode with anticipation. She does, of course, know I am kidding.
        It was a very long email. It wasn’t easily explained.
        Thanks for your ear and shoulder. 🙂

• Lynn Love says:

I’m very intrigued as to her response now! Keep me posted. And always a pleasure 🙂

Yea, she liked. Asked me loads of questions, wanted to get it straight in her mind. But, general outcome, Yea, it’ll be good to have protagonist and antagonist face off at the last.

• Lynn Love says:

Ooh, that’s really exciting! I’m so glad. Can’t imagine how deflating it would have been if she hadn’t liked it! 🙂

Mostly it was me making a big thing about it. To me, it’s a major change. But because Lauren has only read the synopsis, it didn’t come across as such a huge change to her.

• Lynn Love says:

Still sounds very promising though

Oh, it is. I’m very excited about it. But it’s the kind of thing a reader probably wouldn’t much notice. Just … feel satisfied. You know what I mean.

I’m working on it! I promise you, this week, you get my feedback!!
    xoxo

How exciting, to be at the stage where you’re planning the book covers! I’m looking forward to seeing the designs Lauren comes up with.

Well, it might be a bit previous; I’m certainly not ready to publish yet. But when inspiration hits … and Lauren was fair jumping with it. Also, I have told her, I need all five covers before I’ll go with the one. They have to resonate, not just with their book but also with each other. So far, so good. But it’s not the sort of thing I’d want to leave to the last. And who knows how busy she might be by then. 🙂

4. Judy says:

Very exciting stuff Crispina and the finished product is looking so polished and professional and with great covers……icing on the cake. You even the Property Brothers show a bit of the rough stages but then you are shut out until the Reveal!! In great anticipation your ‘reveal’……we need a reveal party when all is written and covers come out from under wraps….too cool!!

Great suggestion. Some days I give thought to the day. And then I tug it all in again. Got a way to go yet. In the meantime, I appreciate your support. And don’t shout too loud; you’re the only reader who’ve seen those covers. 🙂