What Pegman Saw: It’s a Wharf, I Tell You

Summerland Key (Little Torch Key) Florida, Street View, Google Maps

“Hey! Lassie?” The white-suited punter at the far end of the counter beckoned Becky over.

If he intended to hit on her… But perhaps she maligned him. Looks of his face, he needed advice on after-sun care. She checked that no others were waiting, and headed down to his end of the bar.

“Yes, sir?”

“Sir! I just love you Yanks.”

Becky bit back a retort. Once more…

“What is it with you Yankees that you have to spell everything wrong? Quay. Q. U. A. Y. Not bleeding Key like you use to open a lock.”

That was it. She treated him to a beer shampoo.

106 words, written for What Pegman Saw: Middle Torch Key, Florida

Apparently, the two words are related, being the French and the English words for a sand-bank or island. But the English word has since developed to mean a wharf.

This entry was posted in Mostly Micro and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to What Pegman Saw: It’s a Wharf, I Tell You

1. Lynn Love says:

Ha! Don’t get me started on English English vs American English. I know our version is difficult (at times, perversely so) but I love it anyway. And I’ll always say Leftenant rather than Lootenant, just out of bloody mindedness! Nice take on the prompt, Crispina

Hahaha! Got a chuckle out of me this morning. I reinstalled windows and it seems to be working. It’s seemed to be working before though, too. Time will tell… 😉

Chuckling…
    There are so many words that the Yanks have changed, eh?
    Plow for plough, to name but one…

4. Funny take on the prompt Crispina. I never really knew what a ‘key’ was – never thought to look it up, so this is interesting knowledge too.

5. Not to further confuse the issue, but it’s pronounced “cay” anywhere outside of the US, though it’s spelled KEY. I guess it’s time for word gaol.

Ha ha, I love the term “beer shampoo” — and he really deserved it! The whole argument about one version of spelling being more correct than the other is silly enough to begin with, but to blame one individual for spelling or pronouncing something the way everyone else in their country does? Let me in there, I’ll give him a “ketchup conditioner” to follow that shampoo. 🙂

The white-suited punter was a stereotype of the Brit abroad. We Brits love to knock ourselves. We know as a nation we’re arrogant, tuffy-nosed gits whose way of doing and way of saying is always the RIGHT way, and who be bothered to find out a thing about the host country … such as a Southerner isn’t a Yankee.

That’s a refreshing attitude, given that one of the Brits I know actually is, now that you describe it that way, an arrogant tuffy-nosed git who constantly makes fun of Americans for speaking and spelling “incorrectly.” It’s more than a bit annoying! Luckily I have met others who give a better impression of their homeland.

Mostly we Brits are honest about ourselves. Especially if we can turn it into a joke.

7. k rawson says:

I got such a chuckle out of this. Lovely humorous touches throughout!

I thank you. I have to admit, nothing at all come to mind, until I struck on the etymology of the word Key. It’s French for an island or sandbank. The English version is Quay, which has evolved to mean quay. Ironic with where I live, for Gt Yarmouth is built upon such an island, thus is a key, and as I live close to the harbour… the wharf… my address includes the word Quay

8. Dear Crispina,

Two countries divided by a common language. I loved the beer shampoo. I think he had it coming. 😉
    Wonderfully written.