A Fungus of a Different Colour

Yes, folks, it’s Fungi Sunday!

A couple weeks back I posted a pink-capped fungus. So, here’s a purple one to go along with it.

Purple Fungus

A Wood Blewit, past its best, beginning to age: 13th November 2018

And an orange one …

An orange fungus

Ganoderma resinaceum: 13th November 2018

Although my guide book says Ganoderma resinaceum, Google images shows some very different specimens by the same name.

And an off-beat red one …

Jelly fungus

A Jelly Ear. They only flesh-up when they’re wet: 13th November 2019

The jelly only flesh-up when they’re wet. Other times they’re hard and dark brown, and easily missed.

WARNING: Do not eat fungi unless you are absolutely sure what that are. Which I am not.

This entry was posted in Photos and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to A Fungus of a Different Colour

So colourful! And no… you would not ever catch me eating one unless a certified mushroom person assured me..

Ooh, what an interesting mix! Speaking of edible mushrooms, I enjoy wood ear / tree ear / black fungus in several Chinese dishes. I just found a new source of dried tree ear (I’ve never seen then fresh), so I was able to make my favorite garlic chicken stir fry a couple days ago. The jelly ear reminded me of the tree ear, so I looked it up, and apparently they’re the same (well, at least similar). But as you say, I would never feel confident enough to eat a mushroom I found in the wild. Who knows how many variants there are, and this one isn’t q

Yea, it’s like that blewit, I’m pretty sure it’s a blewit, and blewits are edible. But what if it’s not.
      Not worth the risk.

Ugh, hit the wrong key and it cut me off. “this one isn’t quite the right one.” And yes, as you say, not worth the risk in case it isn’t!

Just think, I could come home with a basket of freebies, and I do like mushrooms.. Ho-hum.
        But no new photos this week; me and camera shall stay home. My daughter/fellow hiker, has tomorrow off. But high winds are forecast for tomorrow, coming in from the very cold NE, along with heavy rain. Nah, I think not. We’re giving it a miss this week. I’ll write instead. 🙂

Good luck with writing! I am… oh right, just working like a dog all week, same as I did all weekend. 😦 At least I allowed myself enough pause to cook a couple healthy meals and put them in the freezer, so I’ll be eating well.

Sorry, Joy, but you’ll not make me feel guilty for writing while you have to work. Remember, I’ve been there. I collapsed under the stress. Now I’m enjoying the peace at the far side of chaos. I wish you the same, that it will eventually arrive for you. I would say it’s a matter of choces, of grabbing the moment, standing firm, and all those other affirmative things. But for me, I ignored it and it came anyway. 🙂 🙂 🙂

Oh no, I’d never want you to feel guilty, why would you even think that? No, enjoy your writing! Enjoy your peace! I hope to be able to do the same soon, but my schedule of deadlines for the next couple months does not bode well. In the meantime my only option is to live vicariously through my writing friends.

Well, you’re quite welcome to live through mine. Not that I’m posting much fiction right now.

It’s still reassuring to check in and know that other people are still writing; makes me feel connected to that world, even if I can’t participate directly at the moment.

Yea, I get what you mean. Oops, time. Appointment with GP. Laters.