Bobby’s Last Post CCC1

Britannia Barracks

Bobby’s Last Post CCC1

‘Go whitewash the last post,’ the corporal said.

But young Bobby was expecting it; they always messed with the new recruits. They thought he’d set off on a frantic search of the barracks, trying to find the last post.

Instead, he signed ten chits for ten gallons of whitewash and set to work.

‘What!?’ he heard the corporate bark from back of him.

Bobby stopped painting, stood and turned. ‘The war is lost,’ he said. ‘This is the last post.’

This entry was posted in Crimson's Creative Challenge, Mostly Micro, On Writing and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Bobby’s Last Post CCC1

1. Michael says:

I liked how you did this one, the double meaning was excellent.

This was soooo good, Crispina!!

I thank you, Dale. Having set the challenge I thought I ought to contribute. Not sure I’ll be able to every week. The photos could veer too much one way if I only chose those that inspired me. Though, having said that, every view has inspired me, else I wouldn’t have the photo.
      This particular photo has special meaning. I was a frequent visitor here as a child since, when it was Britannia Barracks, my father was stationed here.

• Dale says:

Well yes, you cannot NOT participate in your own challenge… That would be so gauche ๐Ÿ˜‰
        Hey… this photo has no ‘shrooms… so apparently you are inspired by more than fungi ๐Ÿ˜‰

But it was taken last year on the way to Mousehold Heath which sports a fungi-fest. In fact I was there again this Tuesday, and I’ll be posting a non-fungi photo for Saturday’s challenge, and one, maybe two, fungi photos on Sunday.

• Dale says:

Doesn’t matter when it was taken!! And I was just pointing out you don’t only take fungi fotos ๐Ÿ˜‰

Indeed not. That’s one of the reasons I set up this challenge. It;s a chance to post some different photos. You’d be surprised the subject I’ve got lined up. My only criterion (and it can be broken) is that the photos posted were taken around the same time of year. Though none will be more than 2 years old, cos that would mean trying to find the right USB where I’d stored them. And basically, I’m lazy!

• Dale says:

Well then, there ya go… I’ll be checking them out.
        And nothing wrong with choosing how to spend your time (better said than lazy, eh?)

Never lazy; it’s just difficult to pry myself away from the laptop. (Writing, not browsing or playing)

• Dale says:

You’re the one who used lazy, not me!
        And yes, it is difficult at times… for various reasons, yes, writing, and reading and browsing an occasionally playing – speaking for myself, of course.

You’re right, I did, didn’t I. I plead tiredness, and the fect I’m also watching a video on YouTube, so, not 100& here. Which is rude of me. Apologies. So yes, I’m lazy at times, like when it comes to finding something that’s buried deep in the stores, though not when it comes to, say, getting out there with the camera.

• Dale says:

And no apologies necessary, friend. I am trying to read FF stories – up to 54 stories so far and I’ve only read 20 (I read ’em all…)
        I fell behind because I had all sorts of things to do yesterday and this morning… and I am half-assed writing my story on my trip to Brooklyn. Not giving 100% to anything!

You are reading 54 flash fiction stories? Yea, I know they’re short but they do add up.
        Well, I leave you to your reading. I’m early to bed (early to rise, makes for a life without any guys. Ho hum.) Though I shall read for a while before matron comes around and turn out the lights. No, ignore that. Memories of child days.

• Dale says:

So far… It’s only Thursday…
        I won’t be up late myself. Was up at 5:30, thing I am no longer used to!

Great shot, and fun story to follow it. If Bobby can turn things around like that, he either has a great career ahead of him, or a future of trouble with authority figures. ๐Ÿ˜‰