Sea, Sand and Shelters (must be England)

Last week I took my camera for a walk around Southwold, a former fishing town in Suffolk, a one-time Georgian resort, all elegance, Jane Austin and … stuff. So many photos, which to share?

Beach Huts at Southwold

Beach Huts at Southwold: 26th June 2018

This entry was posted in Photos and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Sea, Sand and Shelters (must be England)

1. Lynn Love says:

Love that pic – so English seaside 🙂

Yea, beach huts. Not to shelter from the sun as in other countries, but from the cold and blustery winds. And for making that vital cup of tea! No one else but the English ….

• Lynn Love says:

And they sell for so much money – considering all you can do is shelter and make tea. No sleeping or bathroom facilities!

That’s exactly what my daughter said as I was framing the shot. But it’s true. Though I remember when my children were small, my father used to take me and my sister and all our children to Mundesley (Norfolk coast) when he’d hire a hut for the day and the children could pee in their buckets rather than climb back up the steps to the public toilets. But what kids can do, adults can’t.

• Lynn Love says:

Ah, that sounds lovely! Would love to hire a beach hut for a week, rolling in and out of the sea and into the hut – sounds really lovely. And sadly, yes, peeing in a bucket as an adult is frowned upon! 🙂

Not so bad for a man. But us woman … As a regular rambler, straying far from the modern world of conveniences. this always poses problems.

I’m confused about how those little porches are used. They look too narrow to put chairs to sit in, although maybe I’m just not judging that correctly. What do people use them for?

The perspective is distorting. They’re about 6′ wide, and behind the doors, the interior is probably as much as 10′ deep. So, picnic-type chairs are stored there and brought out when needed. Inside are cupboards, a small stove and running water. Facilities vary. The idea is to bask in the sun (while it shines) but to shelter inside from onshore winds, and the not-so-occasional showers. They’re just like garden sheds, but they cost plenty to buy or to hire out for the day. Convenient place for changing wet swimsuits, too. They are a British institution. though I think they’re also found in Europe. And though you can’t see it in this photo, they all have ‘house names’. Sea View is very popular. And Gulls Nest.

Hmm, I still don’t see how the porches are used. I understand that the whole building is six foot wide, and the interior is useful. But the depth of the porch looks like you couldn’t put a chair there and then face the beach. Maybe if you sat up very straight, I guess? Doesn’t sound comfortable. But for that matter, why would you sit on the porch when you could take your chair down to the beach and sit there? So I ask again, what are the porches themselves used for? Why are they there at all?

There is just enough depth for two fairly upright chairs, set at angles, perhaps facing each other. Most people don’t look at the sea. That’s the source of the wind, best avoided. The porch helps to keep the weather off (those all too frequent British showers). Believe me, Joy, the British seaside is nothing like an American coastal resort. These beach-huts date back to the original seasides spars, all very Georgian, Victorian, and proper. Tea and biscuits, and no sun-loungers. One does not desport oneself in public, don’t you know! Yes, I can almost hear my great aunt saying that.

How funny, to think of going to the sea to *not* look at the sea. But yes, it’s supposed to be for your health, isn’t it? The sea air? Not desporting oneself in public, that’s charming!

If one wishes to gaze out to sea, then one decorously strolls along the pier (yes, Southwold has one) where, if the wind becomes too boisterous, one might take shelter in a communal structure (providing one has an appropriate chaperone, and the wind-shelter isn’t occupied by some dirty devil of a workman!
        BTW, yes, I do live on the coast. But Great Yarmouth is a tad more modern than this. No beach-huts, though it does have a pier, with theatre and amusements; the sea-front also boasts of what is possibly the oldest wooden-built ‘roller-coasters’ in the world. Not to mention the 5 miles of uninterrupted golden-white sands. the best in the country, and bars of all types, amusement arcades, nightclubs, etc. etc. Very noisy. I keep away,

We have a beachfront pier / arcade / nightclub place like that near here, too, complete with a big ferris wheel (but no roller coasters). I’ve had fun there with groups of friends, but it’s not something I do often, that’s for certain. Even though here, the weather is pretty much perfect for beach activities at least half the year. Your description of beach life in the summer is what ours is like in the winter (which sometimes I prefer — fewer crowds!).

Our seafront traders complain of the ‘fewer’ people, This place was crammed-jammed packed in the 1950s and 1960s, but the numbers began to seriously diminish once cheap airfares came in. Now those who used to come here, go to Spain and Tenerife instead. Now, there’s always plenty of room on the beach, though you might still have to queue for some of the fairground rides.
        I used to love those rides. So exhilarating. But I haven’t been on one for . . . oh, ages. Even the noise of it all, now, doesn’t enchant. I prefer quiet resorts. I seldom venture down to our seafront though it’s only a 10-minute walk away.

Ten minute walk? Wow that *is* close. The closest beach from me is about 5 miles, but then there are plenty more up and down the coast. For rides, we have the big county fair, which lasts for four weeks, mid-July to mid-August. I love the rides, but you have to get there early in the day unless you want to stand in the hot sun in long lines. And that’s if I can manage to find someone willing to ride them with me. I’ve had to resort to borrowing friends’ teenager children more than once!

We have a travelling fair, arrives over Easter and then disappears. There’s a belief no matter what the weather till then, it’s gonna be rough during fair-week! My daughter went to art college in Kings Lynn (across the county, on the Wash), the fair arrived there in February. Of course the weather was always bad then.
        And, yea, we do have to borrow teenage kids to go on the rides with us. Me too, late time I rode.

My favorite teenager isn’t a teenager anymore (just turned 20) but I scared her too much last time by taking her on my favorite ride (“Trust me,” I said, “you’ll like it.”) and now she won’t play with me. 😦

Tragic. I had something experience on the dance floor.

Oh dear. that must have been a very scary dance!

No comment 🙂

3. Pingback: Tag / Sunshine Blogger Award | Of Maria Antonia

Like hail in summer, that’s come out of the blue.
      I am stunned almost to silence, and much appreciate the thought and nomination.
      I’ve read the questions, and I would like to answer them. But I’m undecided at the moment whether to accept … tempus wings its way ….