Sunday Fungi: Jelly Ears

What more need I say? They look like ears, and they feel like jelly.

Jelly Ears: 19 Nov 2019

The sun caught these fungi just right. These last throughout the year, but need the rain to *blossom* like this. Otherwise they’re just nobbly brown bits, barely noticeable.

This entry was posted in Photos and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to Sunday Fungi: Jelly Ears

1. Never seen those before.

They look so soft, but I fear they feel something like icy dead flesh, so I’ll just look, not touch.

3. Deborah says:

These are very pretty! They almost look like candy! ๐Ÿ˜€

4. Oh my, did you touch them?!!

5. Prior... says:

They are so unique – nice capture

6. You have some amazing fungi!

7. Judy says:

These little ears remind me of certain jellied candies I used to enjoy; however not sure ears and candy ought to be in the same sentence!! Interesting specimens nonetheless!!

8. ๐Ÿ™‚ I sure will!

I would never have known they were fungi! They look like bright little slugs…

10. I sure have enjoyed your fun fungi photos.

11. Tien Skye says:

I rather thought they look like chrysalis!

Another new species for me, how interesting! They look a bit like raw meat to me, with marbles of fat, but maybe the texture is more obviously different in real life.

• Amazing how different people liken these to different things. When dry, they look like hard little nuts. It takes plenty of rain to bring them out. And then they’re kinda gristly.

I imagine the color comes out slightly differently on various people’s screens, too. How would you describe the color as seen in real life? Does it look like the pink of raw steak?

• I’d say it looks purplish rather than pink. But then with the light shining through them… that light was orangey-yellow, more than I’ve every seen. Did wonderful things to the leaves still on the trees. That’s one of the things about the northern latitudes, though we’re not in any way extremely north, yet the southward track of the sun at this time of year really does cause the light to rake across the land. It changes the colour of things.