Last of the Asars

Last of the AsarsAs a new Asaric Tale is about to begin—King’s Wife, starts 22nd September with episode 1: The Cuckoo Child—this seems a good time to review this series of stories about the Asars, a people you might know better as the Fallen Angels.

The series began in December 2012 with Feast Fables Trilogy, posted in weekly instalments as a dedicated blog which finally finished earlier this year (phew!). Set in Mesolithic through Neolithic and at times ranging throughout Eurasia, yet its main setting was the Fertile Crescent.

Also beginning in December 2012 was Neve (a time-slip story). Though first of the (relatively) shorter tales, Neve covered the Asars’ last years on Earth (before ‘Atonement’)—which just happened to be set in my native East Anglia.

Next came Priory Project, in form another time-slip story, the main action set during the Western European Neolithic with a focus on the monument-rich hills and plains of Wessex. (It’s now the reader discovers the Asaric World isn’t our world but a parallel universe.)

Alsalda was a natural progression from this, though perhaps some thousand years on. It focuses on the changes wrought by the advent of the Beaker culture as the Neolithic skids into the Early Bronze Age.

And now with King’s Wife, the years again have rolled on. Still set mostly in (a parallel) Wessex, and still culturally within the Bronze Age, yet the action here forms a clarion call to the rapidly approaching Age of Iron when the sword will be king.

This is the last in the series of Asaric Tales. Oddly, the Iron Age doesn’t inspire me, and the later, Saxon-thro’-medieval, period is already covered by Neve.

I thank all those who have followed the Asaric entanglements so far, and those who are about to follow this one. King’s Wife will be posting twice weekly, on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Happy reading.

This entry was posted in Mythic Fiction and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Last of the Asars

And I’ll be able to follow as published, as I’ll be caught up by that time! Although . . . doesn’t Neve deserve a sequel?

Funny you should say that. These past few days I’ve been toying with the idea of something featuring the grimmen, those nasty but woeful blood-feeding descendants of the Asars. Remember them? Had Neve holed up, trying to get at her blood.

• Brian Bixby says:

Not what I was thinking of myself, but if it works, go with it!

I did only say ‘toying’. I’ve certainly not got as far as planning. I had intended, after King’s Wife to do what might be called a ‘tribal’ tale. For that I have scribed some rough notes. Well, an opener, and muddly-middly bit. But as yet no ending. But, early days. And maybe the grimmen will grab me first. How about The grimmen Supped Up The Plague?

2. Judy says:

I really liked Neve and loved the language so much in that story.

Coincidence. I have, just yesterday, copied off the entire posted story (the original are somewhere but I cannot find) being inspired–during my holiday–to try for a spin-off from that story, though not contemporary-set and not a time-slip, totally medieval. But I needed to check out various character developments first: exactly how had I left them at the end of Neve. So you might find that language again—not year.